Pinterest

Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Russian Cutlets with Mushroom Sauce

I make no claim that this is actually a dish in Russian culture! I was searching the net for something different to try and stumbled across this recipe. I decided to give it a try. Knowing me, I obviously made some changes to the recipe. To me these cutlets are more like a hamburger steak but hey maybe in Russia this is what they call a cutlet?

Cutlets
2 lbs ground beef
1/2 med onion, blended
3 cloves garlic, blended
1/2 tsp each salt, white pepper, ground mustard
1 egg yolk
1 tbsp butter or ghee

Mushroom Sauce
1 cup mushrooms, chopped
1/4 cup onion, chopped
2 tbsp butter or ghee
1/2 cup beef stock
fresh ground pepper

For the cutlets, blend your onion and garlic together into a paste (as always I use my magic bullet), then get your other ingredients ready. In a saucepan, melt the butter/ghee on medium heat, then add the onion/garlic paste.  Simmer on medium heat for about two minutes, to sweat the liquid out of the onions and to lessen the oniony taste.

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Combine the other ingredients for the cutlets and gently mix together with your hands. Be careful not to over-mix the meat. Form the ground beef into six oval-shaped patties and place them on a baking sheet.  Place the cutlets in the middle rack of the oven and bake at 350 for 20 minutes, then broil them for another two minutes.

Meanwhile, using the same pan you sauteed the onions and garlic in add the butter, mushrooms and onions on medium heat. Fry the mushrooms and onions until the mushrooms release moisture and start to cook down. Add the stock and season with pepper. Let simmer for 10ish minutes. 

Once the cutlets are ready remove from the oven and top with the sauce. I served my cutlets with a poached egg and wilted spinach. The egg added some extra creaminess with the soft yolk.

Enjoy!

Recipe courtesy of The Domesticated Man!

No comments:

Post a Comment