Pinterest

Sunday, September 29, 2013

Beet and Sweet Potato Pancakes

When I think about fall in the Canadian prairies I think of sweaters, hearty dishes and an array of beautiful colors. To me, the quintessential fall vegetable is the beet. I love beets! They are such a versatile vegetable but messy as heck! I mean after you have peeled, chopped or grated the beets your kitchen looks like something out of a horror movie. Red stained hands and counters and if you're like me there is a nice splatter pattern of red beet juice on the wall or back splash. I may be a good cook but a messy one! Anyways, I hit up the farmers market this past weekend and purchased a huge bag of beets for five dollars. So, now I have seen searching for some new beet recipes and this one made the cut!

1 1/ cups coarsely shredded peeled beets (about 2 medium)
1 cup coarsely shredded sweet potato
1 medium onion, shredded
1 large egg
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 tsp cumin
olive oil or coconut oil

Preheat oven to 300°F. Place baking sheet in oven. Combine beets, sweet potato and onion in large bowl. Mix in egg, salt, pepper and cumin; stir to blend well.

Heat  oil in heavy large skillet over medium heat. Using 1/3 cup beet mixture for each pancake, drop 4 pancakes into skillet. Flatten each into 3-inch round. Cook until brown and cooked through, about 4 minutes per side. Transfer pancakes to baking sheet in oven; keep warm. Repeat with remaining beet mixture.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment