Pinterest

Saturday, March 02, 2013

Paleo + Me

My journey with Paleo began in January 2012, after joining CrossFit Brio in November.  The box challenged the members to a 10 week Paleo Challenge starting in January. Not one for backing down from a challenge, I accepted this new 10 week lifestyle, little did I realize that this would soon become a permanent lifestyle change. Most of my family, friends and co-workers thought I had gone off the deep end into crazy town but I was convinced that I would prove them all wrong!

I cleaned out my cupboards, fridge and pantry from all processed and packaged foods, all sugar, dairy and grain related items. I remember looking at my cupboards and thinking what have I got myself into? There is nothing left to eat! But, I was going to give this a go and see what happened. I stocked up on meat, vegetables, eggs, fruit and nuts and went to town. Day one was no problem however by day two I found myself going through massive sugar withdrawal, emotional outbursts and irritability. I thought my body was rejecting itself! Luckily these symptoms only lasted a few days. After which I began to notice significant changes, I had more energy, less stomach trouble, and generally just felt great. Halfway through the 10 week challenge I had decided that this was not going to be a temporary lifestyle change but a new way of living. I was going to be a modern day caveman.

I had always loved cooking and baking and now I was presented with a new dietary challenge: finding and creating recipes that were not only Paleo but tasty, interesting and different. This was initially challenging but once I started to look outside the box the recipes just began to flow.

Today, I still lead a Paleo lifestyle the majority of the time with my occasional cheat days. After all,  everyone is entitled to their occasional cheat days. I hope you find this collections of recipes both paleo and non-paleo helpful. Most of the recipes I use I have found and made modifications. These are my versions of some classic and new recipes.  

No comments:

Post a Comment